Monday, October 24, 2011

My first batch of kombucha

Well, so far, so good. I have a spicket container so it was easy to taste test. Baby girl loved it. Small boy even liked it. I bottled 2 small bottles with a vanilla bean in it (can you say "cream soda"?), one small bottle plain, a large bottle plain, and then a large bottle with some lemon juice in it in the hopes of replicating the citrus stuff I bought in the store. Ought to be interesting. It had some fizz already but I bottled it and stuck it in the pantry (dark and not cold) so it would continue to ferment and possibly get fizzier.

I then promptly made a batch of tea (a macha & regular green tea mix), cleaned out the container, separated the SCOBYs (Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast) and put it in the old one in the "brewing" container with some of the leftover kombucha from the last batch. I separated it from the new SCOBY (which is currently in a REALLY big, glass measuring cup with some of the leftover kombucha--it should keep for 2 weeks like that). This morning, when the tea was cooled, I put it in the brewing container with the old SCOBY.

I feel like my kitchen needs to be more functional. *sigh* I feel like I don't have enough room for all the stuff I need room for. I really need to buy an island for in there. That would do it. Or maybe I'll bring that table up out of the basement and use that in the middle of my kitchen. Hmmm... wondering if that's possible...

Stay tuned...

No comments: