Monday, October 3, 2011

Dreading the winter

I seriously am dreading it. The cost of food is going to kill me. The availability of organics is abysmal.

And really, we need to get into eating more locally-and with that, what grows local in the winter. It's not much. We will switch over to meats, stews, squashes, parsnips, carrots, turnips... root vegetables.

I need to find a place to buy rice in bulk other than Whole Foods.

I need to get my cold frames installed. Those are little boxes that trap the sun's heat and heat the ground underneath to make winter growing somewhat possible--at least for a few things! Nothing horribly tall, of course. :/

I need to learn how to make cheese and start thinking about some raw dairy.

I need to look into fermented foods. I hate kefir. There must be something else.

Really, I just need to get my food act together.

No comments: