Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday, June 7, 2009

early breakfast: cereal bar

breakfast: eggs scrambled with canned organic peas plus coffee for mom & dad

snack: rice crackers

lunch: at Wendy's--and they'll serve a burger without a bun, btw. So Matthew had a hamburger (with bun) with pickle and tomato but no ketchup. Side of mandarin oranges and bottled water to drink. Mike and I had grilled chicken sandwiches with fries and bottled water. Matthew ate 4-5 of our fries.

snack: fruit cup from Quik Chek (we were on the road). It had melon, red grapes and pineapple pieces. Non-organic. Mike and I had apple wedges (they give you caramel to dip it in--BLECH! Tasted horrible) and I also had some diced peaches that were surprisingly packed in pear concentrate syrup--not corn syrup! Go, Quik Chek!!!

dinner: well, you'll see from my food shopping post that we bought a ribeye steak (just under 1 lb.) and split it among the 3 of us. We also used some of the organic lettuce from the coop delivery for salad. I should note that salad in Mike's family equals: lettuce, olive oil, salt and white vineghttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifar. I never manage to get the combination correct--but I'm getting there. Matthew and I also had organic tomato wedges. We all snacked on some cooked shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce (impossible to find without corn or soy). It's just ketchup and horseradish (which I DID find "safe" in the ethnic section of my regular grocery).

And we had corn on the cob. :O I caught wind of a post on a message board about allergenic foods noting that many people could have "whole" corn, but had SERIOUS problems with corn derivatives. We're wondering if this is Matthew's issue because he HAS ingested some popcorn (plain) with no problem, but CLEARLY has a problem with corn that is in something else--especially corn syrup.

I'm going to look at a website I've actually never seen before: Kids With Food Allergies

For dessert, we had some Jello Pudding in cups. It contains dairy (and soy lecithin--which is presumably safe for people with soy protein allergy). Mistake on our part: we allowed multiple questionable items in a single day and therefore any reactions can't be tied to ONE of them. Shame on us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post script on Monday, June 8, 2009 @ 10:47am

No obvious intestinal backlash from the milk. Matthew had a "sad" episode this morning, but they've become SO common that I seriously can't tie them to food anymore (although they may be). I'm finally ready to see a therapist about this. That being said, it was absolutely not the worst morning we've ever had with him.

He had almost an hour of school testing (for special ed services) and really did well--he was even pretty focused. Vewwwwwy intewesting. ;)

No comments: